Medical & Surgical Dermatology
Electron Beam Therapy
Non-Surgical Skin Cancer Treatment with Electron Beam TherapyElectron beam therapy (EBT) offers patients a state-of-the-art non-surgical management option for basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers. It is particularly well suited for treating cancers located near the eyes, ears, nose or lips. The treatment uses very thin, non-penetrating electron beam to destroy cancer cells in the targeted area while allowing protection of healthy cells.
Dr. David Herold board-certified radiation oncologist at Water’s Edge often recommends electron beam therapy in circumstances where surgery can leave a less-than-desirable cosmetic outcome or in patient’s who have other medical ailments.
Benefits of Electron Beam Therapy
- Each treatment lasts less than 2 minutes
- For most patients, the regimen involves 2 to 6 weeks of daily treatments, depending on cancer size and location
- Little or no discomfort during treatment
- Cosmetically satisfying results
- Side effects are limited to the treatment site, usually involving gradual development of skin irritation, redness or “sunburn” that gradually dissipates following treatment
- 90 to 98% cure rate depending on location
Schedule a ConsultationLearn how you might benefit from superficial electron beam therapy by scheduling a consultation with our radiation oncologist. Click here to request an appointment.
Superficial electron beam therapy is covered by Medicare and most major insurance carriers. We will help you check with your insurer to determine out-of-pocket cost.