If you want to improve your skin tone, Water’s Edge Dermatology is leading the way in making skin more beautiful. Intense pulsed light (IPL) photorejuvenation with the Icon™ Aesthetic System can treat skin of all colors to clear sun damage and visible veins for a more relaxed and rejuvenated appearance.
Our photorejuvenation process offers comfortable and effective photofacials for the treatment of sun damage and unsightly veins, making visible improvements in your appearance. IPL also improves your skin texture and tone and reduces the appearance of pores. The photorejuvenation process uses a laser with pulses of concentrated light to treat:
- Sun damage: Wide areas of pigmentation on the face, neck, chest and other areas
- Age spots: Pigmented lesions or brown blotches on the face, neck, chest, hands and other areas of the body
- Rosacea: General inflammation and redness of the cheeks and face
- Spider veins and broken blood vessels: Tiny blood vessels that appear near the surface of the face
How Does Photorejuvenation Work?
Our pulsed light system uses specialized handpieces that filter light to target pigmented lesions and blood vessels. Each band of the spectrum has a wavelength that is ideal for different treatments, such as sunspot removal and vessel clearance.
IPL can be used on the skin of all colors. Your treatment provider will move the handpiece over your skin, as pulses of light pass through your skin. The light is absorbed by the pigment in sunspots and the blood in visible vessels, which typically fade from view within two weeks.
How is intense pulsed light different from a laser?
Pulsed light systems and lasers are very similar, but IPL systems use a much larger treatment window than most lasers. This spreads light over a wider area of skin and allows faster coverage of the skin and quicker treatments as a result.
What body areas can I get treated?
Most areas, except directly around the eyes. The face, neck, chest, arms, back and legs can all be treated.
How many treatments will I need?
Photorejuvenation typically consists of a series of three to five treatments spaced three to six weeks apart. Each session usually takes 30-90 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area.
What should I expect after the treatment?
Immediately after treatment, you can expect a mild sunburn-like sensation, possibly accompanied by some minor swelling. This usually lasts for two to 24 hours and can be soothed with a cold gel or ice pack.
- Age spots/sun damage: Pigmentation darkens after treatment and naturally sheds from the skin within one to two weeks.
- Rosacea: Skin tone typically benefits from less pronounced redness within a week after treatments.
- Spider veins: Vessels may disappear after treatment or they may appear darker and then fully or partially fade within 10-14 days.
Remember, it generally takes three to five treatments for your concern to fully resolve.
At Water’s Edge, our photorejuvenation process provides the most skin-safe, comfortable and effective photofacials available, with little to no downtime. IPL appointments are quick, and you can return to work or other activities looking and feeling fine. For a lasting solution for unwanted hair, we also offer IPL hair removal.
Do you have questions about a cosmetic procedure or product? We’re here to help. Send your questions and concerns to our Cosmetics Experts!