Acne is the most common skin disorder in the United States, so it makes sense that there are many different techniques and tricks for getting rid of acne. Unfortunately, even with the variety of acne treatments available, many people still pop or pick at acne. Here are the top five reasons why you should stop popping your pimples:
- You may introduce dirt and bacteria to your pores from your fingers. This aggravates acne more by clogging the pore with dirt and encouraging inflammation from the bacteria.
- Squeezing and pressing on acne to force the clogged material out can actually force the bacteria and oil further into your skin. By forcing this bacteria and oil deeper into your skin, you risk creating more acne.
- You can cause scarring or pits in your skin from popping pimples. When you pop a blemish, you can leave a hole in your skin. Especially if you are prone to picking at your acne, this can lead to scabbing and scarring.
- Popping or squeezing blemishes can make your acne worse by causing more serious acne. Squeezing pimples may push oil and bacteria into deeper layers of skin to form nodules or cysts.
- Your skin can become infected when you pop pimples. Popping blemishes can push the clogged material out of your pore with such force that it tears your skin and leaves an open wound. This opening in your skin is ideal for infection.
If you have a blemish that needs to be removed before your acne treatment can heal it, your Water’s Edge dermatologist may use a technique to unclog your pore for you. Make an appointment with your dermatologist about your acne treatment if you experience frequent breakouts. Water’s Edge practitioners have serious medicine for your skin. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to find more tips for acne treatment.