Acne is an annoying fact of life for more than 85% of all people. Treatments are becoming more effective every day, and new studies are helping aid the development of new therapies. Since acne is such a widespread skin condition, educating yourself on the subject can’t hurt, whether it’s you that suffering or friends and family. Statistics show that even if you aren’t affected, there is an almost certain chance that you know someone who does. Read on for some interesting and weird facts that you may not know about acne.
- More than 40% of teenagers will have acne or acne scars by their mid-teens.
- At some point in their life, 85% of people will suffer from acne. That’s about 40 to 50 million Americans affected, making it the most common skin disorder in the U.S.
- Dermatology research has thankfully led to numerous new therapies in addition to acne treatment and acne treatment products.
- Acne has no age restriction, even though it commonly begins in puberty. Adults can also develop it into their 50s!
- The most common forms of acne are face, chest and back acne.
- You should never pop, squeeze or pick at acne otherwise you can develop acne scars. Instead, ask a dermatologist about treatment options when over-the-counter medications don’t work.
- Despite popular belief, diet isn’t actually proven to be a cause of acne.
- Dermatologist Amy Derick says that stress may not play a role either. There are not enough good studies to prove that stress hormones actually make a difference.
- Washing your face twice a day is enough. If you start washing more than that it may irritate you skin even more. The same is true about acne treatments. Too many products may have the opposite effect.
- Many people will discontinue treatment if they don’t see immediate results, however depending on your treatment type, it can take a couple of weeks to see substantial progress. Keep at it!
How many of these did you know? How will you be using this knowledge?