We all want to look our best and keep our skin youthful, but selecting the right anti-aging skin care products and developing an anti-wrinkle regimen can be daunting. There are so many products out there, it’s difficult to know where to start. Today we’re sharing dermatologists’ top tips for choosing the best anti-aging skincare products in order to maximize your results for healthy, beautiful skin.
- Start with sunscreen: Exposure to the sun speeds up the process of natural aging of your skin, causing wrinkles and uneven pigmentation. Dermatologists agree that sunscreen is the most-effective anti-aging product you can buy. Use sunscreen on exposed skin year-round when outdoors. Choose sunscreen that includes:
- Broad spectrum – blocks UVA and UVB rays;
- Non-comedogenic, sensitivity-free, fragrance-free and paraben-free;
- SPF 30 or higher;
- Water resistant.
- Add a moisturizer: Though moisturizers can’t prevent wrinkles, they can help minimize fine lines. This is so effective that moisturizer often is the secret ingredient in many anti-aging products. We recommend moisturizers with Hyaluronic Acid because they help to smooth and plump fine lines and wrinkles. If you use a tinted moisturizer for your face, be sure to select one with a built-in SPF of at least 15.
- Treat your #1 aging-skin concern:It’s important to remember that a regimen to rewind fine lines or fade sun-damaged spots can take time, and compliance is key! Too often, regimens are not followed because of skin irritation and over-doing it on intensive, results-oriented products. Acclimation is important before introducing more products that can create more inflamed skin.
- Buy products formulated for your skin type:No one product works for everyone. Select a sunscreen, moisturizer, and other anti-aging skin care products that are formulated for your skin type. If your skin tends to be oily, select a moisturizer made for oily skin. If you have sensitive skin, you want to see the words “sensitive skin” on the label.
- Read product labels: Look for products that offer all of the following:
- Hypoallergenic – the product can still cause an allergic reaction, but the risk is lower;
- Non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic – the product does not cause acne;
- Consumer hotline number – contact for questions regarding the product.
- Not tested on animals.
- Buy anti-aging products from a cosmetic practice: It’s always better to purchase anti-aging products from a cosmetic practice rather than over the counter or in a spa. Qualified aestheticians can help create a personalized skincare plan that is right for your skin type and targets your key skin concerns. Additionally, they can recommend medical treatments with a well-rounded approach that encompasses wrinkles and brown spots, prescription creams, serums, injectables and fillers as well as skin-resurfacing and can guide you to the right combination of treatments for you.
Schedule a skin assessment today at Water’s Edge Dermatology. We can help create a skincare regimen that fits your lifestyle and recommend the best products for you. Click here to: Request an Appointment.